Particles, new items and a new blocks
vPrototype b0.0.5 is here with lots of new features for the game, let's discover all the details of this update!
This is a special block that can be broken if hit by pressing the left mouse button. When broken, it will produce some nice block fragment particles, but more about this later in the post.
Arrow Trap Block
This is a block that can shoot arrows if triggered by a button or a pressure plates, creating traps that you should watch out for...remember that you can avoid activating pressure plates by jumping over them!
This block can be broken with a new item: the cutters! To break the bars you need to use the cutters on the block by clicking the left mouse button when holding the cutters and facing the bars. Here is how the bars look like:
The cutters are a new item that can be found in chests and you can use it to cut the bars block.
This is a new type of projectile that can be shot only by an arrow trap block.
The guard is a new enemy that has a greater attack radius that the ogres. However, it has less heath points and deals less damage that the ogres.
This is one of my favourite feature of the game so far, because they are very easy to customize! In this version of the game there are three different particle effects, but only two of them are effectively visible in the game:
- Block breaking particles: this particle effect is shown whenever you break a cracked block;
- Smoke particles: this particle effect is shown whenever an arrow trap block shoots an arrow or when the player shoots with a weapon;
- Fire particles: this particle effect is implemented in the game, but not visible to the player, I still don't know what to do with it, but it looks cool!
Here is how they look like in game:
I created a new system that makes the creation of a new weapon easier.
The shotgun shoots 20 fast bullets which will spread and deal more damage than a pistol. In this way you can try hurting more than one enemy at a time!
Attack and damage indicators
In order to make is easier for the player to understand when he successfully hits an enemy and when he is hit by an enemy two kinds of indicators have been implemented in the game:
- Attack indicator: when the player deals some damage the game will show yellow cross in the middle of the screen;
- Damage indicator: when the player is damaged by an enemy the screen will turn red for a few seconds.
- The game map has beed changed to host the new arrow trap block and an hidden chest containing the shotgun;
- The crosshair has been removed.
- With a high framerate the player could glitch out of the map;
- The kills counter broke when killing an enemy with the shotgun.
Creating particles for the first time has been really fun and I could implement more particle effects in the future!
Thanks for reading this devlog to the end. Have a nice day!
Get 3D OpenGL Game
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.